Artefact 1 - The Rose Review 2019


My first artefact is the government policy paper published in 2019 by Alison Rose Review of Female Entrepreneurship. 

You can read the review and the government response here:

This paper was published in March 2019 and was the key driver behind my reasons to apply to study the EdD (Doctorate of Education) along with my experiences in school classrooms, during my outreach work, in which I noticed that the gender divide of school children wanting to study business related subjects in further or higher education. From my experience of going out to schools and in the university that I work in, there are many more boys/men choosing to study business than women and after reading the Rose Review, it confirmed my experiences that the structures in the UK for support for women wanting to start and run businesses are imbalanced in favour of men also. 

I want to research whether the type and amount of enterprise education in schools is having an impact on this gender divide. I have read studies on how sport is taught in secondary schools and how the focus on competition and winning can be offputting and demotivating for many groups of students including those from lower socio-economic groups, girls and BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethic) students, and from my experience the pedagogy used in enterprise education is very similar. I believe this may need further research and exploring whether changing the way we teach business in schools could impact who goes on to study business post-school and ultimately who then goes on to start and run successful businesses. 

As a result of the startling information in the report, I decided to put together a proposal and applied for the EdD programme, this made me focus down my research ideas and decide on my direction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artefact 3 - TEDxWolverhampton application

Artefact 4 - Critical Incident - Lockdown

Artefact 2 - Photo of graffiti