Artefact 4 - Critical Incident - Lockdown


The fourth artefact for my reflective blog is a critical incident. In March 2020, the UK went into lockdown as a result of the global coronavirus pandemic. This obviously has had an impact on all areas of everyone's lives, but for me, it has changed my job, my research and my future plans for my EdD thesis.

My educator role has moved entirely online since March and is likely to stay remote until at least September. This has changed the way I teach, support students and interact with colleagues. Additionally, the outreach work that I deliver in schools has been suspended as schools have been closed and even when they reopen in September, it is less likely that external visitors will be permitted due to COVID safe measures put in place by the schools. 

This has led me to rethink how I will be able to conduct my research, as my original plan was to research in the classrooms, both in schools and in my own classrooms at the university. Intervention packages to support future women in business may now have to be a series of online resources and online mentoring, with the hope that some live sessions, delivered online may be able to happen in the schools.

This has also had an impact on how I research and work on my EdD. Working in groups has moved to online study sessions and socially distanced walks in the park with fellow doctoral students to discuss ideas and progress. Hours spent sitting in the library with unlimited resources and little distractions, has moved to me having to carve out a working space in my spare bedroom and try and access resources online or sharing book chapters with colleagues.This takes a different kind of approach and balancing study with home and caring responsibilites. I have also found the concept of studying during the pandemic hard, as my brain has been so preoccupied with the news, the fear and the constant change to our everyday lives, that the idea of studying education seems abstract and immaterial given the current crisis. It has taken me several months to be able to get my motivation to research and to see the value in my doctorate again. It has helped speaking to other members of my cohort and other doctoral students at the university and realising that I haven't been alone in this thought process and journey of motivation and acceptance of the current situation.

Moving forward, I will have to rethink the research design and methods for my thesis, and have alternative plans for second or third waves of the virus, further tighter lockdowns and limits on classroom interaction.

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I am impressed you have a research strategy planned - or did have until current circumstances impacted on it. I'm still torn between qualitative and mixed methods approach. I have, like you, an idea of my research interests and perhaps some draft questions but, it appears my thinking is constantly challenging my current stance...I wonder if this every stops? One of my biggest concerns is that I may get to a point where I decide on a strategy and then during the data gathering, analysis or write up I may cast doubt over my own approach!

    My research interests relate to student learning experiences, or perceptions of learning so although this doesn't involve entering the classroom it does require access to students on Campus, and the University clearly faces similar circumstances to that of schools.

    With regard to motivation, I too am up and down so can echo that you are not alone. I go through phases. The assessments have helped my understanding, they are challenging and this has led me to read around the subjects being assessed but I'm also going of at tangents with a quest to learn more. I'm not sure if this is counter-productive to the assessment learning outcomes but perhaps the positive of this is that I'm not a surface learner. This clearly however, will have an impact on my research; I need to remain disciplined and focussed and set timely targets.

    Thanks Marc Smale (1919212)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marc, thanks for your comment. I saw a problem with the societal structures and support for women entrepreneurs when running my own businesses and since teaching business, so I guess that was in my mind before I even applied to study on the EdD. I, like you feel that my stance shifts everytime I read some new information, and the impact of the pandemic has been huge on my motivation and morale.I agree on needing some discipline and just scheduling time in my diary to work on my EdD this last few weeks has helped, along with the deadline looming! I like the fact we are all sharing our thoughts through our blogs, online study support sessions and our whatsapp group. Being part of a cohort has definately helped during the darker days of the EdD.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Artefact 3 - TEDxWolverhampton application

Artefact 2 - Photo of graffiti