Artefact 5 - LSE Business Review article


My fifth and final artefact for Year 1 of my doctorate is the following article from the London School of Economics and Political Science examining the increasing divide COVID-19 is causing in education, wealth, social mobility and life. The article can be read here:

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/104403/1/businessreview_2020_04_21_covid_19_is_increasing_the_divide_in_life.pdf

This article has struck a chord with me, and how I will have to adapt my research moving forward. If I move my enterprise education invertention online, this could inadvertently add further disadvantage to the children I am trying to reach and level the playing field for. Children who often don't have separate study areas in their homes, their own digital devices, access to wifi/broadband or access to educational support in the home. My original design of going into classrooms and bringing the tools, expertise and inspiring volunteers with me would have overcome many of these socio-economic barriers, with me being able to target low participation schools, in terms of numbers of students who go onto higher education and/or self employment.

I am now exploring the idea of applying for funding to support my research so that I can address some of the financial barriers however, the physical distancing and remote learning procedures put in place as a result of COVID-19 are unlikely to be reversed in the near future, therefore this will take more than simply a financial investment, but also a pedagogical redesign and a redesign of research methods in order to be able proceed.

Comments

  1. Emailed comment from Lydia (my academic advisor):

    Excellent - all very relevant to shaping your project, as you say Lisa. In addition to teaching and learning approaches, I would add consideration of curricula from a gender perspective.

    I read the online article on the pandemic and inequality with interest. This IFS report on the impact of the pandemic on inequality is also interesting: https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14879

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Artefact 3 - TEDxWolverhampton application

Artefact 4 - Critical Incident - Lockdown

Artefact 2 - Photo of graffiti